Thursday, March 19, 2009

St. Joseph's Day

The train ride was long enough to provide some distance ad perspective.

It was comforting to see my name on the door to “my” room, even though I hadn’t been there in months. Turning the handle, I found everything as it should be. Dropping my bag, I closed the door behind me, slipped out of the seminary, and made my way down the steps to the path that leads around the lake. The dome, lit against the night sky rather than golden against the blue of day, greeted me as an old friend. My north star, it reminded me exactly where I was. As I made my way through trees on the path, I sensed the angels come alongside. I never seem to walk alone at Notre Dame.

Arriving at the Grotto, I performed the ritual – touched the stone from Lourdes, lit candles, and knelt to pray. I was surprised that there is now a thick kneeling pad. Warmer and more comfortable, I prayed a but longer in the cold night air.

As I passed the dome, the bell on the basilica sounded, as if to say hello. I tried the church door, knowing it would be locked. It was. I had to settle for remembering the warm baptismal water therein.

I was impressed by the students who, unsolicited, dropped cell phones and ipods from their ears to say hello and ask if I needed anything. I so enjoyed the students that I made a detour through the Huddle and sat for awhile where we used to eat pizza, just to watch.

When I entered the library, an old monitor greeted me. “Haven’t seen you in awhile,” he said. “How’s your daughter?” I rode the elevator to the twelfth floor and my corner of the library. The blinds were up in carrel 1210, so I could peer through the window in the door at the desk where I spent years with St. Ambrose, the desk under which I took my daily nap, and out the window on the other side at campus. I miss that view. I was disappointed that they moved the preaching books, but I found them, and even found a few of my own books in the collection. While I was fussing at the catalog, one of my students stopped to say hello – a joy and blessing.

On the walk back, the grotto called to me, so I lit one more candle, for a friend, and, kneeling on the pad, offered some more prayers.

There’s no better way to spend St. Joseph’s Day then with Our Lady!

No comments: