Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Am Receiving Fan Mail for My New Book!


Dr. Satterlee,

I just finished reading your new book, "When God Speaks Through Worship". It did what you predicted. It brought up stories from my own ministry.

I have been a pastor for almost 35 years. Worship has been central to my ministry. I always remember a layperson who gave me advice when I was ordained. It was "Hang on to Word and Sacrament and then hang loose!" That has been central to my thinking in all of the situations I have ministered in since.

Learning that ministry is not about your actions but God's action is the hardest lesson for pastors. I give spiritual direction to Pastors and the hardest thing for me and them is keeping the focus on what God is doing.

I liked your reference to the "grace place." I have come to call it my "nada point" It is where you totally realize from head to toe that you are powerless and cannot move without God's intervention. At that point you learn what surrender is and what it means to die in order to live.

I also liked your honesty about your disability. I carry some of those feelings in regard to my stuttering which I thought would keep me from ordained ministry. Instead it has been my reminder that this again is not about me, but about God's grace being proclaimed through me. Most of the time I do not stutter when I preach. It is quite a gift to be enabled to let go of self consciousness.

I used at a retreat last Saturday your images of mountaintop, desert, and river. I introduced them as markers for their sharing where God has been active in their lives. They really got into it. The images helped them pinpoint times of grace in their lives. There wasn't a dry eye among us as stories flowed and barriers of mistrust fell . We found the courage to be vulnerable with each other. Our Bishop was present and even he felt moved to share.

So Craig, thanks again for your wonderful writing. I am talking up your book with colleagues.

So blessed,

No comments: